Tahoma West is hosting an Association of Writers and Writing Programs Tag-along Contest! Send in your creative works for a chance to travel to Portland Oregon for the AWP Conference!
What is AWP?
AWP, Association of Writers and Writing Programs, is the largest writing conference held annually in the United States. There are panels with different writers, speakers and publications, a book fair filled with publications and literary journals from across the country, and various events to meet people in the writing community! To find out more about AWP, visit their website. https://www.awpwriter.org/awp_conference/
- Submit by February 15th, 2019
- Fiction and Nonfiction: 5 pages maximum
- Poetry: 5 poems maximum
- A Word 2-3 page maximum statement of why you want to go to AWP
- Your creative work and statement need to be free of any identifying information!!!!!!!! We go through a blind submission process, so creative work and statement need to be free of identifying information to make it as fair as possible!
- Send your creative work to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line AWP CONTEST with the genre of your piece. EX: “AWP CONTEST: Poetry”
- In the body of the email please put the following:
- First and Last Name
- UW NetID (to verify that you are a student)
- Standing (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior)
- Major or intended major
- Attach the Word document and the creative work. These should be separate documents.
When is the conference?
Tahoma West will be traveling to Oregon from March 27th-30th 2019 via the Amtrak.
What will it cost me?
Travel, lodging and entrance expenses will be covered! Only cost the winner needs to plan for is food, souvenirs and traveling from the lodging location and the conference.
What am I expected to do at the conference?
The conference is free for you to explore! Go to panels, check out the book fair, etc.
Are there rules for me going to the conference with Tahoma West?
Since Tahoma West has received the money from the University of Washington, we still need to abide by UW’s and act as if we are still on campus. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t go out and have fun as well!
If I win, what do I need to do to prepare before going to AWP?
There will be a few forms that need to be filled out for expenses and getting tickets, passes, etc. It would also be a good idea to meet the staff as well. We will send out a reminder of essentials to pack for as well as the date draws near.
How will this affect school?
The conference takes place after Winter Quarter finals week ends and we will be coming back a couple days before the first day of Spring Quarter, so you won’t have to worry about missing classes or finals!